1 Peter 1:3-9
Basic Principles Regarding Suffering
- Suffering well is a witness to the unsaved
1 Peter 3:15
- Suffering well is an encouragement to the saved
Philippians 1:12-14, 2 Corinthians 1:3-4
- Suffering is a part of following Christ
1 Thessalonians 3:3
- Suffering deepens your faith
2 Corinthians 12:7-9, 1 Peter 4:19
General Causes of Suffering
- We live in a fallen world where sin reigns.
- We suffer because of our own foolishness
Galatians 6:7-9, Proverbs 13:15
- We sometimes suffer because it is God’s discipline.
No matter how bad it gets…
- Your story ends in hope.
1 Peter 1:4-5
- God is closer than He has ever been.
1 Peter 1:6-7
Lies that suffering whispers to you
- God has abandoned you. (Hebrews 13:5, 1 Peter 1:6)
- God is punishing you. (Romans 8:1)
- God is working on you. (1 Peter 1:6-7)